Series 125 - Canberra University College and ANU Library accession registers

Identity area

Reference code

AU ANUA 125

Title

Canberra University College and ANU Library accession registers

Date(s)

  • 1930 - 1974 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

0.2 m (1 type 1 box)

Context area

Name of creator

(1930 - 1960)

Biographical history

The Canberra University College was established by the Canberra University College Ordinance (No. 20 of 1929) of 19 December 1929. In association with the University of Melbourne it provided undergraduate university education in Canberra and took its first students in 1930. Governed by a Council, there was also the Board of Diplomatic Studies 1944-c1947, from 1948 the Board of Studies, from 1951 the Library Committee, and from 1955, the Buildings and Grounds Committee, Finance and Staff Committee, and Joint Committee of the Council and the Board of Studies on the Development of the College. Sir Robert Garran was Chairman of the Council 1930–1953, succeeded by Dr Bertram Thomas Dickson 1954–1960. Professor Herbert (Joe) Burton was Principal 1948–1960 and the Registrar was Thomas Owen 1939–1960. The following departments and disciplines were represented, with many early courses taught by part-time staff: Botany, Chemistry, Classics, English, Geology, History, Law, Mathematics, Modern Languages, Oriental Studies, Pacific Studies, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Statistics and Zoology. In late 1960, the CUC amalgamated (‘associated’) with the Australian National University to become the School of General Studies within the University.

Name of creator

(1948 -)

Biographical history

The University Library was established on 1 May 1948 with the appointment of A. L. G. McDonald as University Librarian. By arrangement with Ormond College at the University of Melbourne, the library collection was housed at Wyselaskie Hall temporarily, and at nearby Trinity College, before being moved to the former Canberra Community Hospital buildings on the ANU site in December 1950 - January 1951. C. P. FitzGerald, Reader in Oriental Studies, was instrumental in collecting valuable Asian collections including the private library of Professor Hsu Ti Shan of Hong Kong University in this early period. When the Canberra University College amalgamated with the Australian National University, it brought with it the Oriental Studies collection that it had formed to support the teaching of the School of Oriental Languages. Another focus of the amalgamation was the cataloguing system as the ANU Library had adopted the Bliss system but the CUC the Dewey system. The first purpose-built library building, the R. G. Menzies Building, was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 13 March 1963 as the research library, while an undergraduate library was completed later that year and was later named the J. B Chifley Building. Meanwhile a number of branch libraries in research schools had developed under the umbrella of the University Library. By the 1990s the main collections were organised into Asia-Pacific collections (Menzies), Social Sciences and Humanities (Chifley), Science (Hancock) and Law. The amalgamation of the Canberra Institute of the Arts (formerly the Canberra School of Music and the Canberra School of Art) into the ANU in 1992 brought two more branch libraries. In the first decade of the twenty-first century, the collections within branch libraries in research schools were relocated to the main libraries, with off-site storage being used to house older material and to make way for the 'information commons', workstations and group study rooms incorporated into building renovations. The Music library was relocated to merge with the Art library in 2012.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The registers record all accessions of books to the Canberra University College Library and from 1960, to the ANU Library. Details recorded include: title, author, publisher, and when received. The D prefix in item 1 refers to books related to the course in Diplomatic Studies. The G prefix refers to Gifts – the donor’s name is also recorded. The microfiche are of a card catalogue which continued the earlier accession registers.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Chronological, single number imposed

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Prepared by Maggie Shapley on 1 November 2007

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places