Victoria River Downs

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Victoria River Downs

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1879 -

History

In 1879 the South Australian Government granted Charles Brown Fisher and J Maurice Lyons a lease over 15,890 square miles of land to form the cattle station, Victoria River Downs. Financial difficulties led them to take out a mortgage with R Goldsbrough and Company in 1886. After an attempt by the Northern Australian Territory Company Ltd to buy the land fell through Goldsbrough Mort and Company became the property's owners in 1887. In 1900 Goldsbrough Mort sold the station to a syndicate comprising Forrest Emmanuel and Company, Kidman Brothers, GS Yull and R and BJH Richards. The station was then bought in 1909 by Bovril Australian Estates Pty Ltd which sold the station to William Lionel Buckland in 1955. In 1960 it was sold to the Hooker Investment Corporation Ltd who in 1984 sold it to Peter Sherwin. Since 1989 the station has been owned by the Haytesbury Pastoral Comany and is now managed by Janet Holmes a' Court.

Places

Northern Territory

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

sheep and cattle farming

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by Sarah Lethbridge 17 February 2011

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC