University House Ladies' Drawing Room

Identity area

Type of entity

University association

Authorized form of name

University House Ladies' Drawing Room

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1956 -

History

The inaugual meeting of the Ladies' Drawing Room in 1956 is referred to as a meeting of the Wives of Members of University House. At that meeting it was decided that both wives of Members and women who were Members of University House in their own right would be allowed to use the Drawing Room for social functions. Committee members were initially elected to represent the four Research Schools of the University and the Administration based on their husbands' employment and the Steward was an ex officio member. Membership expanded as new Schools were established including the School of General Studies after the incorporation of the Canberra University College in 1960. Morning teas and luncheons including a speaker on topics of general interest were organised. In the 1980s a Play Reading Group also met.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes