Sydney Meat Preserving Company Limited

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Sydney Meat Preserving Company Limited

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1869 - 1973

History

In 1869 the Sydney Meat Preserving Company was established to process excess meat and was the major company in Sydney selling a range of canned meat merchandise. Formed by pastoralists, its factory was located in Auburn and stockyards, slaughtering, butchering, preserving and boiling down were all performed on site. The company was taken over by F J Walker Limited in 1919, who also owned Hunter River Meat Packing Co, Metropolitan Meat Co, and Australian Natural Gut Manufacturing Co. Business boomed during both World Wars but canned meats ceased to be productive after the Second World War. The business ceased operations on 31 July 1964 and the works at Auburn were put up for sale. In 1972 it was formerly resolved to dissolve the company and the final meeting of shareholders was held in September 1973.

Places

Sydney

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

meat manufacturing; meat wholesaling

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entered from deposit description on 30 Jun 2011

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

http://www.westernsydneylibraries.nsw.gov.au/westernsydney/ind_page4.html#meat (accessed on 30 June 2011)
Jobson's Year Book of Public Companies of Australia and New Zealand 1965

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC