Series 126 - ANU Library Statistical records

Identity area

Reference code



ANU Library Statistical records


  • 1967 - 1980 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.1 m (1 type 2 box)

Context area

Name of creator

(1948 -)

Biographical history

The University Library was established on 1 May 1948 with the appointment of A. L. G. McDonald as University Librarian. By arrangement with Ormond College at the University of Melbourne, the library collection was housed at Wyselaskie Hall temporarily, and at nearby Trinity College, before being moved to the former Canberra Community Hospital buildings on the ANU site in December 1950 - January 1951. C. P. FitzGerald, Reader in Oriental Studies, was instrumental in collecting valuable Asian collections including the private library of Professor Hsu Ti Shan of Hong Kong University in this early period. When the Canberra University College amalgamated with the Australian National University, it brought with it the Oriental Studies collection that it had formed to support the teaching of the School of Oriental Languages. Another focus of the amalgamation was the cataloguing system as the ANU Library had adopted the Bliss system but the CUC the Dewey system. The first purpose-built library building, the R. G. Menzies Building, was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 13 March 1963 as the research library, while an undergraduate library was completed later that year and was later named the J. B Chifley Building. Meanwhile a number of branch libraries in research schools had developed under the umbrella of the University Library. By the 1990s the main collections were organised into Asia-Pacific collections (Menzies), Social Sciences and Humanities (Chifley), Science (Hancock) and Law. The amalgamation of the Canberra Institute of the Arts (formerly the Canberra School of Music and the Canberra School of Art) into the ANU in 1992 brought two more branch libraries. In the first decade of the twenty-first century, the collections within branch libraries in research schools were relocated to the main libraries, with off-site storage being used to house older material and to make way for the 'information commons', workstations and group study rooms incorporated into building renovations. The Music library was relocated to merge with the Art library in 2012.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The seven notebooks record statistical details of accessions and monograph orders.


System of arrangement

Single number imposed

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Prepared by Maggie Shapley on 20 November 2007




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places