Deposit N149 - Peters Bros Wade and Allison Proprietary Limited deposit

Open original digital objects

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC N149

Title

Peters Bros Wade and Allison Proprietary Limited deposit

Date(s)

  • 1914 - 1991 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

87 boxes, 8 oversize volumes, 13 plans

Context area

Name of creator

(1945 - 1990)

Administrative history

The company of Peters Bros Wade and Allison (PWA) Pty Ltd was formed by the merger of Peters Bryden and Peters Pty Ltd and A M Mainwaring Pty Ltd. The company which manufactured electrical, truck and farm equipment was registered on 27 September 1945. The company headquarters was in Phillip Street, Redfern, where they remained until 1979. William Henry Peters was appointed the first Managing Director. After Peters' death in 1948, William Wade became Managing Director. New memoranda and articles were signed on 2 February 1948 increasing the share capital. On 2 June 1956 a holding company, PWA Industries Pty Ltd, was established to co-ordinate the operations of new subsidiary companies that undertook the production and marketing of the company's products. In 1969 the manufacture of truck and farm equipment ceased and the company's activities were concentrated on electrical transformer manufacture. On 27 July 1973 Peters Bros Wade and Allison Pty Ltd changed its name to Australian Power and Distribution Industries Pty Ltd. In 1975, the company sold the rights to produce Power King transformers to Tyree Industries Pty Ltd, who also bought the assets of the transformer division in August 1979. PWA Investments Pty Ltd was established to administer the sale and any remaining assets. In 1990 the company's trade-mark and logo was transferred to Australian Power Products Pty Ltd. The remaining manufacturing operation of its General Products division, Australian Power Inc Pty Ltd, was sold to Morlynn Ceramics.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Full range of company records including minutes, board papers, incorporation papers, correspondence, reports, records of superannuation and retirement fund, working files, legal and financial records, patent files, photographs, plans and printed material. Also includes records of predecessors, holding company and subsidiaries and the records of the Australian Electrical Manufacturers Association and its predecessors.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Item list

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description on 25 August 2011

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

digital objects (Master) rights area

digital objects (Reference) rights area

digital objects (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places