Mort's Dock and Engineering Company Limited

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Mort's Dock and Engineering Company Limited

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1872 - 1959


In 1854, Captain Thomas Stephenson Rountree and Thomas Sutcliffe Mort acquired an area at the south-western end of Waterview Bay and began excavations to create a dry dock. Mort's Dock opened in March 1855 receiving its first ship for repair. In 1867, Mort's Dock became principally an engineering facility: including the construction of steam locomotives, ship machinery, mining equipment and steel pipe for the Sydney Water Board. The Mort's Dock and Engineering Company was formed as a public company in 1872, but Thomas Mort immediately withdrew from active participation in 1973, and the management devolved to dock manager James Peter Franki. In 1875 the company was incorporated with limited liability. Ship construction and repairs continued at the dry dock and surrounds, and in 1901 the company opened a second dry dock and slipway at Woolwich to cater for commercial vessels and ferries. Mort’s Dock and Engineering Company Ltd finally closed on 12 November 1958 and in 1959 went into liquidation.


Mort's Bay - Balmain, Sydney; Woolwich Dock, Sydney

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

transport equipment manufacturing

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entered from deposit description on 24 August 2011




Australian Dictionary of Biography, (accessed on 24 August 2011)
Thomas Mort's Dock, (accessed on 24 August 2011)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC