Mittagong Maltings

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Mittagong Maltings

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Tooths Mittagong Maltings Group

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1899 - 1980

History

The Mittagong Maltings Works was originally established by the Maltings Company of NSW (Ltd) and operated from August 1899. Tooth and Company Limited purchased the Mittagong Works in 1905 and produced the malt used in Tooth & Co breweries in Sydney. The early 1940's was an active period, with output of malt being approx 200,000 bushells annually. This output was severely restricted following a large fire in August 1942, which completely gutted No.2 Malthouse and damaged No.1. The No.1 Malthouse was returned to service early in 1943. The No.2 Malthouse was completely rebuilt during the early 1950's and recommenced active operation in 1953. Operation continued normally until another fire gutted the No.3 Malthouse in 1969. Tooths & Co continued to operate at the site until 1980, when the works were closed and the site sold to a group of local business people.

Places

Mittagong, New South Wales

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

beverage manufacturing; cereal manufacturing

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entered from deposit description on 26 June 2012

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Hertitage NSW, http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/07_subnav_04_2.cfm?itemid=2680103 (accessed on 26 June 2012)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC