Deposit M55 - Humes Limited microfilm deposit

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC M55

Title

Humes Limited microfilm deposit

Date(s)

  • 1911 - 1923 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

1 microfilm reel

Context area

Name of creator

(1910 - 1990)

Administrative history

In 1910 Ernest James and Walter Reginald Hume (Hume Brothers) established the Humes’ Patent Cementiron Syndicate Limited, which later became Hume Brothers Cement Iron Company Limited. Hume Brothers Cement Iron Company Limited operated factories in Adelaide, Melbourne, Hobart and abroad, manufacturing centrifugally-spun reinforced concrete pipes by methods patented by Hume Brothers. Eventually Hume Brothers Cement Iron Company Limited became the Hume Pipe Company (Australia) Limited and was incorporated in Melbourne in August 1920. Shares in Concrete Constructions Pty Limited, established in 1914, were also sold to Hume Pipe Company in 1920. Hume Pipe Company (Australia) Limited opened factories in all states of Australia and in New Zealand, manufacturing high-quality spun concrete pipes, fabricated steel products, plastics and plastic pipes and products, concrete roofing tiles and building products. Singapore Hume Pipe Company Limited was incorporated in Victoria in 1922 and operated the Hume processes in Malaya. Subsequent changes of names were Hume Pipe (Far East) Limited in 1933 and Hume Industries (Far East) Limited in 1948.
In 1923 Hume Steel Limited was formed in Victoria to operate patented processes in steel pipe and electric welding machinery. Hume Steel Limited originated the concrete lining of steel pipes, which became the accepted practice throughout the world. Steel Pipe and Lining Company (Hume) Limited was registered in Victoria in 1928 to acquire the whole of the foreign patents of Hume Steel Limited.
On 22 March 1950 the name Hume Pipe Company (Australia) Limited was changed to Humes Limited. A separate company, Hume Industries (NZ) Limited, was formed in 1951. On 1 July 1952 Hume Steel Limited went into voluntary liquidation and was taken over by Humes Limited as its Steel Division. Wunderlich Humes Asbestos Pipes Proprietary Limited was formed in August 1960, jointly owned by Humes Limited and Wunderlich Limited. In 1964 James Hardie (Asbestos) Limited took over this company; by 1965 it had been wound up. In 1988 Humes Concrete and the ‘Hume’ name were sold to CSR Limited. Smorgan’s acquired Humes that same year. In January 1990 Humes Limited changed its name to SCI Steel Limited (Smorgan Consolidated Industries).

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Microfilm copy of:
1. Memorandum and articles of association 1911
2. Certificate of incorporation of a company 1912
3. List of shareholders 1912 - 1913
4. Shareholders’ resolutions 1914
5. Additional articles of association 1914
6. List of shareholders 1914 - 1915
7. Shareholders’ resolutions 1915
8. List of shareholders 1916 - 1919
9. Agreement for sale and purchase of Hume Brothers Engineering works 1920
10. Shareholders’ resolutions 1920
11. Hume Company Limited list of shareholders 1920
12. Hume Brothers Cement Iron Company Limited – notice to wind up voluntarily 1921
13. Final meeting of shareholders and company liquidation 1923

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

State Records of South Australia, GRS/513, Lodged company documents of defunct companies, 35/1911: Hume Brothers Cement Iron Company Limited 1911 - 1923

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description, May 2012

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places