AU NBAC 98
Goldsbrough Mort and Company Adelaide Office records
- 1888 - 1963 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
(1848 - 1962)
Richard Goldsbrough formed a wool broking firm in Melbourne in 1848. In 1881 it merged with the Australian Agency and Banking Corporation Ltd to become R Goldsbrough and Company Limited. The purchase in 1888 of the Sydney firm Mort and Company Limited, established in 1843 by Thomas Mort, led to a change of name to Goldsbrough Mort and Company Limited. It kept this name until the merger with Elder Smith and Company Limited in 1962 which formed Elder Smith Goldsbrough Mort.
Name of creator
(1888 - 1924)
The firm was established on 6 November 1888 and its members included John Lewis, William Lister, James Shakes, and George Wallwall Bagot. It became a large pastoral firm with company premises in King William Street, Adelaide, and branches in many towns. The company was purchased by Goldsbrough, Mort and Company in June 1924 and went into liquidation in December that year.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Records of the Adelaide office including minutes, correspondence and financial records. Also includes records of Bagot, Shakes & Lewis Ltd consisting of minutes, annual reports, ledgers, correspondence and financial records.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Goldsbrough Mort & Co Ltd established their Adelaide Office by taking over the firm of Bagot, Shakes & Lewis Ltd in 1924.