Series 15 - ANU photographs (envelope series)

Identity area

Reference code

AU ANUA 15

Title

ANU photographs (envelope series)

Date(s)

  • 1948 - 1974 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

1.3 m (19 archival albums), 4 type 1 boxes of duplicates

Context area

Name of creator

(1947 - 1998)

Biographical history

From 1947, the Registrar, reporting to the Vice-Chancellor, was responsible for the administrative work of the University with duties specified in the University statutes such as conducting Council elections, acting as Secretary of the Council, the Board of Graduate Studies and each Faculty and Faculty Board, and affixing the common seal of the University to official documents and degrees, but also for correspondence with public bodies, legislation, personnel matters (except academic appointments) and official publications. The Registrar initially directed the work of all administrative areas but as the University administration grew, new structures were developed. The Bursar was responsible for budgets, accounting services, business management and for residential housing. The Academic Registrar was the secretary of the Boards of the Institute of Advanced Studies and of the School of General Studies, responsible for administrative matters related to academic staff appointments and student matters. The Registrar (Property and Plans) was responsible for the coordination of planning, including the relating of academic plans to the provision of buildings and site development. Functions which had been managed by the Office of the Registrar were devolved to other areas such as University Information (later, Public Affairs Division) and Human Resources so that by 1998 the Office of the Registrar was no longer identified as an administrative unit. From 2006, the position of Registrar has headed the Division of Registrar and Student Services.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The black and white photographs document the early development of the University: the Easter Conference of 1948, the laying of foundation stones in 1949, the opening of buildings, the conferring of degrees, and visits by dignatories. Throughout the 1950s and 1960s many staff and buildings were photographed as well as visitors, Creative Arts Fellows, exhibitions and other events. Most of the photographs were taken by the Commonwealth Department of Information, then the Commonwealth News and Information Bureau, and bear a number with a UN (University) prefix. The photographs were originally held in numbered manila envelopes and have now been placed in archival albums. Some envelopes were top-numbered into the later series, photographs of people and subjects (ANUA 225 and ANUA 226).

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open access

Conditions governing reproduction

Commonwealth copyright for the majority of the photographs, copyright has expired for those taken before 1 January 1955

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Digitised copies of some photographs at https://digitalcollections.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/10

Related units of description

ANUA 187, Index to envelope series of photographs
ANUA 14, Negatives and proof sheets
ANUA 225, Photographs of people
ANUA 226, Photographs of subjects

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Prepared by Maggie Shapley on 25 September 2007

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places