Deposit 31 - Dunlop Rubber Company of Australia Limited deposit 1

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC 31

Title

Dunlop Rubber Company of Australia Limited deposit 1

Date(s)

  • 1898 - 1950 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

11 m

Context area

Name of creator

(1899 -)

Administrative history

In 1888, John Boyd Dunlop invented the pneumatic bicycle tyre, forming the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company in Dublin in 1889. In 1893, the Company opened a branch office and factory in Melbourne's Chinatown district. In 1899, a Canadian syndicate purchased the Australasian rights from the UK Company and floated the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company of Australasia Limited in Victoria on 30 August 1899. In 1905 the Company purchased its main rival Barnet Glass & Sons Proprietary Limited. In 1908, Barnet Glass created another public company, Barnet Glass Rubber Company Limited which also merged with Dunlop in 1929, being fully absorbed in 1937. On 16 August 1920 the company changed its name to the Dunlop Rubber Company of Australia Limited and became a listed public company on the Melbourne Stock Exchange, and since then has remained the parent company of the group. After merging with the Perdriau Rubber Company in 1929, the company adopted the name Dunlop Perdriau Limited, which changed to Dunlop Australia Limited in 1967. In 1980, the company acquired Olympic Consolidated Industries and a half-share in Olex Cables (which became a wholly-owned subsidiary in 1981). To reflect this merger, the name of the company was changed to Dunlop Olympic Limited.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This deposit includes articles and memorandum of association, financial records, correspondence, advertising, printed material and photographs. The photographs include images of early bicycle, motorcycle and car races including the Melbourne to Sydney Road Contest 1905, the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria Alpine Contest 1924, the Senior Time Trial motorcycle race 1926, the Tour de France 1927-30, the Victorian Light Car Club 100 mile road race 1928 on Phillip Island (the first 'Grand Prix' in Victoria), the Victorian Centenary Thousand bicycle race 1934, as well as photographs of early 20th century cars, road trains and tractors, and Dunlop factories and products such as rubber conveyor belts used in mines and rubber flooring in shops and offices.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

NBAC Z407

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Created by Greg Bell on 22 November 2012

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places