ANU Department of Mathematics, Research School of Physical Sciences

Identity area

Type of entity

University unit

Authorized form of name

ANU Department of Mathematics, Research School of Physical Sciences

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Department of Mathematics, School of Mathematical Sciences

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1959 -

History

The Department of Mathematics, was established in the Research School of Physical Sciences by the University Council in 1959 on the initiative of Director, Sir Mark Oliphant. The foundation head was Professor Bernhard Hermann Neumann, 1962-1975. Early chair holders were Professor J W Miles, 1962-1965 and Professor Kurt Mahler, 1963-1968; Professor Robert Edmund Edwards, 1970-1986. In 1989 it became part of the School of Mathematical Sciences, which was renamed the Mathematical Sciences Institute in 2002.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

university administration; research; teaching and learning

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

Heads of the Department:
Bernhard Hermann Neumann, 1962-1975
Professor J H Coates, 1977-1979
Derek William Robinson, 1982- 1989

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Research School of Physics and Engineering (1948 -)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

hierarchical

Dates of the relationship

1959 -

Description of relationship

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entered from deposit description on 19 March 2013

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

ANU timeline, http://about.anu.edu.au/profile/history/timeline
Trevor Ophel and John Jenkin. Fire in the Belly: the first 50 years of the pioneer School at the ANU, http://physics.anu.edu.au/fire_in_the_belly/Fire_in_the_Belly15.pdf
The Making of the Australian National University 1946-1996 by S G Foster and Margaret M Varghese

Maintenance notes