Dalgety and Company Limited Narrandera and Leeton Branches deposit
Level of description
Name of creator
(1970 - 1983)
In 1970 Dalgety & New Zealand Loan Ltd was reorganized as Dalgety Ltd (UK) and major branch operations were transferred to locally incorporated companies in Australia and New Zealand. The Australian operations of Dalgety Limited were transferred to Dalgety Australia Limited on 30 June 1970. The company's name was changed to Dalgety Farmers Limited on 8 December 1983.
Name of creator
(1884 - 1961)
Dalgety and Company Limited was registered in London on 29 April 1884. The company was a joint-stock company incorporating firms which were actively managed by Frederick Gonnerman Dalgety in partnership with other trading individuals. Dalgety became the company's first chairman of directors and remained the largest shareholder until his death. Australian branches were opened in Perth (1889), Albany (1890), Rockhampton (1891), Brisbane (1894), Townsville (1896), Adelaide (1897), Albury (1908), Wagga (1923) and sub-branches in smaller centres. A Superintendent was appointed for New Zealand in 1908 and for Australia in 1914. From 1884 to the Second World War, the company operated as merchants in rural areas, wool brokers, stock and station and shipping agents in Australia and New Zealand. In 1927 Dalgety and Co Ltd acquired the business of W C Hunter in Kenya. On 22 November 1961 the company merged with the New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Company Limited to form Dalgety & New Zealand Loan Limited.
Name of creator
(1961 - 1970)
In September 1961, Dalgety and Company Limited announced it proposed to merge with the New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Company Limited. Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Limited was formed on 22 November 1961 after the name change was approved by the company's shareholders. The company's interests in its Kenyan and East African venture was sold in 1969. A new company name, Dalgety Limited, was adopted on 30 June 1970 and branch operations in Australia and New Zealand were transferred locally incorporated subsidiaries Dalgety Australia Limited and Dalgety New Zealand Limited.
Name of creator
(1865 - 1961)
The company was registered in England in April 1865. In July 1893 the company suspended business and was again, after reconstruction, incorporated on 10 May 1894. The company's share registers were in London, Melbourne and Wellington. The Australian Head Office and a branch was established in Melbourne in 1875 and in 1880 commenced wool selling activities. Australian branches and agencies were also set up in Sydney (1876), Brisbane and Rockhampton (1884), Adelaide (1886), Townsville (1898), Albury, Longreach, Geelong (1956). In 1889 the Australian operations were separated from those of New Zealand, with David Elder becoming the first general manager for Australia. On the retirement of Elder in 1903 a Local Board of Advice was established to advise and support senior management in Australia. At the same time the Australian Branch was formed. The number of sub-branches and agencies grew after 1945. The company also had extensive interests in New Zealand and in South Africa (1930-1960). The company acquired a number of smaller firms and also formed new subsidiaries; New Zealand Loan Properties (Australia) Pty Ltd (1952); New Zealand Land Nominees Pty Ltd (1957); New Zealand Loan and Mercantile Agency (Produce) Ltd (1957). In 1961 the company merged with Dalgety and Company Ltd to form Dalgety and New Zealand Loan Ltd.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
The deposit consists of office files concerning the branches as stock and station agents, merchandise retailers, auctioneers and valuers, financiers etc. Also includes records of clients' and trade debtors' accounts, correspondence, financial and legal records.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Researchers must sign an access agreement
Conditions governing reproduction
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Dalgety and Co Ltd had a sub-branch at Narrandera from 1934, under the control of the Sydney Branch. In 1962, following the merger of Dalgety and Co Ltd and New Zealand Loan & Mercantile Agency Co Ltd, Narrandera becam a branch. In 1967 the branch was placed under the control of Griffith, then in 1968 under the control of Wagga Wagga which was designated South-West Regional controlling branch. In 1970, Narrandera was again brought under the control of Sydney, which became the controlling branch for New South Wales. [Sources: Dalgety & Co Ltd Annual Reports 1934; Dalgety-NZL Ltd Annual Reports 1962-1970]
New Zealand Loan had a sub-branch at Leeton since 1953 controlled from Sydney, and a sub-branch at Narrandera, controlled from Melbourne since 1948. In 1961, the Narrandera sub-branch was transferred to the control of the Albury Branch. [Source: NZL & MA Co Ltd Melbourne Branch records]
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Dates of creation revision deletion
Entered from deposit description on 17 April 2012
digital objects (Master) rights area
digital objects (Reference) rights area
digital objects (Thumbnail) rights area