Commonwealth Solar Observatory

Identity area

Type of entity

Commonwealth department

Authorized form of name

Commonwealth Solar Observatory

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1924 - 1957

History

The Commonwealth Solar Observatory was established in January 1924, one of its purposes being the study of solar phenomena. By 1950 the Observatory's name had changed, becoming the Commonwealth Observatory. In 1957 the observatory located at Mount Stromlo became part of the Australian National University as the Department of Astronomy in the Research School of Physical Sciences.

Places

Australian Capital Territory

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Astronomy

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

ANU Department of Astronomy (1957 - 1998)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created by Sarah Lethbridge on 29 August 2011

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

National Archives of Australia: CA 634, http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/AgencyDetail.aspx?reg_no=CA%20634
http://www.eoas.info/biogs/A000960b.htm accessed 29 August 2011

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC