Central Council of Railway Shop Committees New South Wales

Identity area

Type of entity

Trade union

Authorized form of name

Central Council of Railway Shop Committees New South Wales

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Council of Railway Shop Committees (NSW)

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

c. 1926 - c. 1963

History

The first shop committees in the New South Wales Railways were formed at Eveleigh and Enfield railway workshops in about 1926. At the end of 1929 six workshops were affiliated to a Central Council of Railway Shop Committees: Chullora Signal Branch, Per Way Shops and Electric Car Shops, Enfield Locomotives, Clyde Workshop, and Mortdale Workshop. The first monthly issue of The Magnet, the official journal of the Central Council of Railway Shop Committees, was distributed free throughout the railway workshops in 1934. From 1960s, the campaigning activities of the shop committees were assumed by the trade unions.

Places

New South Wales

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Representation for railway workers

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entered from deposit description on 28 May 2013

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Shop Committees in the New South Wales Railways by Geoff Warburton, JIR September 1975 vol. 17 no. 3 255-264, doi: 10.1177/002218567501700303.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC