- 1883 - 1996 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Name of creator
The business was established in 1872 by Mauri brothers, Joaquim and Jose, for growing and manufacturing cork, and importing goods and equipment for the cordial and aerated water trade. In 1895 the firm was sold to Ninian Miller Thomson and in 1898 the London Office of Mauri Brothers was sold to Butler Bros. In 1899 Antonio San Miguel, of cork importers A San Miguel & Co, acquired an interest in Mauri Brothers & Thomson (Sydney) while Thomson and Edwin Charles Gutteridge became co-partners in the Melbourne firm of Mauri Brothers & Thomson. In December 1904, Gutteridge’s interest in Mauri Brothers & Thomson and the Melbourne company of spice and essence manufacturers, Harrison San Miguel & Co, was bought out by Thomson, Antonio San Miguel and Harold Furley Harvey. The company was registered as Mauri Brothers & Thomson Ltd in New South Wales on 28 February 1905. Thomson was appointed Managing Director and John William Pickworth appointed Secretary. The company’s registered office was transferred to 46/48 York St, Sydney on 20 March 1905 and in 1906 the Mauri Bros & Thomson Engineering Works was transferred from 36 York St to Bourke St, Waterloo. The Engineering Works manufactured filters and crowners, soda fountains, ice cream making machines, egg whisks, dough and cake mixers, complete baking plants, chilling and carbonating cylinders for beer, and automatic bottle washing machinery. In September 1907 the company purchased the goodwill and process of manufacturing malt extract from Samuel, Ernest and Percy John Cornwell of Cornwell’s. In 1913 the company began the production of crown seals under the brand Pinnacle Crowns.
In 1924 the company purchased the Australian and New Zealand patent rights for manufacturing compressed yeast and spirits from Danish firm, Dansk Gaerings Industri. In December 1929, an agreement was made between the company, F A Henriques Ltd (Vic) and the Atlas Seal Company to form the Australian Seal Co Pty Ltd. F A Henriques Ltd was later acquired by the company in October 1930. From July 1931 the company’s bottled vinegar section was amalgamated with Champions Vinegar Co (Australia) Ltd. During 1937-38 negotiations were completed with Stevenson & Howell Ltd for an association between the two companies for the manufacture under English patents and trademarks of ‘Pinnacle’ and ‘Red Ball’ essences. The company purchased rights to use the trademarks Pinnacle, Champion’s and Cornwell’s.
In June 1952 new subsidiary companies were registered for each state using the name Mauri Brothers & Thomson. The company acquired shares in Dominion Compressed Yeast Co Ltd in September 1954, Daniel Scott Industries Ltd (1958), Barrett’s Yeast Holdings Ltd (1959), Raleigh Preserving Co Ltd (1959), Pick-Me-Up Food Products Ltd (1961), Progressive Engineering Co Ltd (1961), Colbro Holdings Ltd (1967) and Associated Foods Ltd (1974). Mauri Bros & Thomson Ltd were acquired by Burns, Philp and Company Limited on 24 February 1982.