Deposit Z534 - Building Workers' Industrial Union New South Wales Branch deposit 2

Open original digital objects

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC Z534

Title

Building Workers' Industrial Union New South Wales Branch deposit 2

Date(s)

  • 1869 - 1977 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

150 boxes

Context area

Name of creator

(c. 1856 - 1943)

Biographical history

The Society existed from at least 1856 and had branches in Sydney, Newtown, Newcastle, Lithgow, North Sydney, Goulburn, Granville, Burwood and Canberra (from 1924 coinciding with the construction of Parliament House). It was part of the Federated Bricklayers' Association of Australia and its members joined the Building Workers' Industrial Union when it formed in 1945.

Name of creator

(1850 - 1945, 1950 - 1992)

Biographical history

Reflecting its status as a branch of its English parent union, this society was originally registered as the Australian District of Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners in 1911 though it had existed as an affiliate of the British union since the 1850s. By the end of 1922 the name had been amended to become the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners of Australia. It operated until the end of the Second World War when its name was changed to the Building Workers' Industrial Union of Australia in 1945. The Building Workers' Industrial Union of Australia functioned for just three more years until it was deregistered in 1948. The name Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners was taken over by a rival, anti-Communist breakaway group and federally registered in 1950, then was itself deregistered in 1951. Reforming in 1952, it eventually amalgamated with a number of unions in 1992 to form the Federation of Industrial Manufacturing and Engineering Employees.

Name of creator

(1945 - 1991)

Biographical history

The Building Workers' Industrial Union of Australia formed from the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners of Australia in 1945 but was deregistered in 1948. An anti-communist faction of the union established a new Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners in 1950 which eventually became part of the Australian Workers' Union. The Building Workers' Industrial Union formally reconstituted in 1962. Members of the Federated Bricklayers' Association of Australia (deregistered 1950) and the Slaters Tilers Shinglers and Roof Fixers Union of Australia (deregistered 1976) also joined. In 1991 the BWIU amalgamated with the timber unions to become the Australian Timber and Allied Industries Union and Building Workers' Industrial Union (ATAIU & BWIU) Amalgamated Union and to eventually be part of the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union in 1993.

Name of creator

(1912 - 1923)

Biographical history

The Australian Society of Progressive Carpenters and Joiners formed as a separate union to the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners of Australia in opposition to that union's affiliation with the British society. When the Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners became independent in 1917, the two Australian unions then amalgamated.

Name of creator

(1928-1976)

Biographical history

The Slaters, Tiles and Shinglers Union of Australia was registered in 1928. It changed its name to include roof fixers in 1944. It formally amalgamated with the Building Workers' Industrial Union in 1976, though the Victorian Branch had already done so in 1964.

Name of creator

(1911 - 1970)

Biographical history

The Bridge and Wharf Carpenters Union of New South Wales was active in Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong from 1911. It was known as the Bridge and Wharf Carpenters Union of Australia from 1945 to 1950, and amalgamated with the Building Workers' Industrial Union in 1970.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

United Operative Bricklayers' Trade Society minutes (1874-1937), membership lists (1920s-1942), financial records including contribution books (1870-1929) and Newtown Branch minutes (1884-1891); Australian Society of Progressive Carpenters and Joiners minutes (1911-1920); Amalgamated Society of Carpenters and Joiners minutes Federal Council (1925-1930), NSW Management Committee (1920-1942), Victorian Management Committee (1913-1933), Queensland Management Committee (1917-1920) and records of branches: Auburn, Bankstown, Brunswick, Burwood, Campsie, Darwin, Fairfield, Hurstville, Lakemba, Manly, Melbourne City, Newtown, Ryde, St George, South Coast, Sydney City, Wollongong; Slater, Tilers, Shinglers and Roof Fixers Union NSW Management Committee minutes (1963-1968), membership lists (1959-1962) and other records; Bridge, Wharf and Engineering Construction Carpenters Union Management Committee minutes (1944-1963) and membership records (1911-1967); BWIU Waterfront District records (1965-1973); BWIU Federal Executive minutes (1948-1951), correspondence, subject files and financial records; BWIU NSW Branch State Executive minutes (1943-1960), district minutes of Sydney, South Coast, Ryde/Hornsby, St George, Bridge and Wharf, North Sydney and Newcastle, correspondence files, compensation files and printed material.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description 5 October 2012

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

digital objects (Master) rights area

digital objects (Reference) rights area

digital objects (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area