Deposit 1 - Australian Agricultural Company (Australian Office) deposit 1

Identity area

Reference code

AU NBAC 1

Title

Australian Agricultural Company (Australian Office) deposit 1

Date(s)

  • 1824 - 1958; 1992 (Creation)

Level of description

Deposit

Extent and medium

160 m

Context area

Name of creator

(1824 -)

Administrative history

The Australian Agricultural Company (AACo or The Company) was formed in London in April 1824. Its purpose was to raise fine woolled sheep and sell wool on the London market. The formation of the Company was supported by an Act of Parliament and a Royal Charter. Its directors and major shareholders included directors of the Bank of England, the East India Company and Members of Parliament; with assigned convicts given the roles of shepherding and general labour. The Company’s initial land grant was one million acres in New South Wales plus two thousand acres in Newcastle. After some uncertainty the land, in the colony, was in three blocks: 464,640 acres between Port Stephens and the Manning River (Port Stephens Estate), 249,600 acres on the Liverpool Plains west of Willow Tree (Warrah) and 313,298 acres at the Peel River south of Tamworth (Goonoo Goonoo). The AACo operated in four major NSW locations during the nineteenth century – Port Stephens, Tamworth, Quirindi, and Newcastle – and from the last quarter of the century also in Queensland and eventually in Northern Australia. Its interests expanded to include wool, wheat, cattle, coal and land sales.

Within a year of its formation the AACo also became involved in coal mining at Newcastle, taking over the government’s operations there. After protracted negotiations the Company’s first pit was opened in 1831.The discovery of gold in New South Wales on the Company’s Peel Estate led to the formation of the Peel River Land and Mineral Company in 1854. Between 1825 and 1862 the AACo, with the Peel River Land and Mineral Company, brought from Europe to New South Wales over 700 men to work either at the colliery in Newcastle or on the extensive pastoral estates at Port Stephens, Tamworth and the Liverpool Plains. The new arrivals were managers, skilled mechanics, shepherds, miners and labourers. The first group of employees was managed by the Company’s first Agent, Robert Dawson (Agent, 1824-1828). Dawson’s successors included Sir Edward Parry (Commissioner, 1830-1834); Henry Dumaresq (Commissioner, 1834-1838); Phillip Parker King (Commissioner, 1839-1849); followed by several General Superintendents with Jesse Gregson, the Company’s longest serving General Superintendent from 1875-1905.

In 1864 the AACo began the development of the Warrah Estate for sheep breeding, investing extensively in wells, bores and fencing. The AACo purchased Corona (near Longreach) in 1912; Bladensburg (near Winton) and Highfields (between Corona and Bladensburg) in 1915; Headingly (Urandangie) in 1916; before moving into the Northern Territory with the purchased of Avon Downs (Barkly Tablelands) in 1921. From the 1930s gradually phasing out sheep the AACo became increasingly involved in beef cattle, developing the Santa Gertrudis stud at Goonoo Goonoo and purchasing Rockhampton Downs (Barkley Tablelands NT) in 1948, Wrotham Park (near Chillagoe, Q) in 1963, Brunette Downs (north of Tennant Creek) in 1979.

In 1975 the London-based directors resigned and the Company’s tax domicile was transferred from London to Tamworth, NSW and then to Brisbane in 1985 following the sale of Goonoo Goonoo. From 1976 the Company’s name was listed on the Australian Stock Exchange as the Australian Agricultural Company Limited. In 1995 Elders Ltd acquired the AACo and it was delisted from the Australian Stock Exchange. The Company became a wholly owned subsidiary of Futuris Corporation Limited after Futuris took over Elders in 1997. The Company was re-listed in 2001.

Name of creator

(1916 -)

Administrative history

The company was registered in New South Wales on 6 July 1916 as James McLeish Estates Limited until 18 May 1937 when it became a proprietary company. It was acquired in July 1946 as a subsidiary of AA&P Joint Holdings Ltd, a company jointly formed by the Australian Agricultural Company and the Peel River Land & Mineral Co Ltd.

Name of creator

(1833 – 1972)

Administrative history

Warrah was acquired by the Australian Agricultural Company in 1833 and was originally managed by W Telfer 1832-1836. In 1864 under the new General Superintendent, E C Merewether, and the Warrah Manager, Samuel Craik, the Australian Agricultural Company began development of the Warrah Estate for sheep breeding and invested heavily in wells, bores and fencing. The Warrah Estate was divided into two sections: East Warrah (122,600 acres) and West Warrah/Windy (127,000 acres). In 1912, 1923 and after World War II areas of land on the Warrah Estate were sold and resumed by the New South Wales Government due to closer settlement movements. The Warrah homestead and adjoining areas in The Highlands and south east corner were sold in 1972.

Name of creator

(1912 - 1979)

Administrative history

Corona Station is situated north-west of Longreach, Queensland. The station was purchased by the Australian Agricultural Company in 1912. From 1917 to 1941 the manager was Thomas L Armstrong. In 1979 the leasehold areas of Corona were sold. The AA Co transferred operation of the Corona freehold land to its Maneroo station in March 1980.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

All types of company records including minutes, correspondence, despatches, annual reports, financial and legal records, employment and employee records; colliery stores books, records for Warrah, Corona, Bladensburg, Caldervale and Brewon stations; miscellaneous material relating to land, wool, railways, cultivation of silk and agriculture; maps and plans; photographs and posters.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Lists of employees from colliery pay sheets (see items 1-456-1B, 1-456-3B, 1-456-6A, 1-456-7B, 1-456-8G, 1-456-10C, 1-456-13C, 1-456-17F) for the period 1871 - 1920.

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Note

The records of the Australian Agricultural Company are inscribed on the UNESCO Australian Memory of the World Register.

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description on 19 March 2012

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places