Australasian Society of Engineers

Identity area

Type of entity

Trade union

Authorized form of name

Australasian Society of Engineers

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1890 - 1991

History

The Australasian Society of Engineers was established in 1890, by members of the Amalgamated Society of Engineers dissatisfied with the British dominance of that union. The Australasian Society of Engineers was first federally registered as a trade union in 1910 at which time there were branches in New South Wales, Adelaide (1904), Western Australia and Broken Hill (1909). By January 1914 the union branches included Collie, Melbourne, Adelaide, SA State, Wallaroo, Newcastle, South Sydney, Bathurst, Sydney, Perth, Petersburg, Port Adeliade, Quorn, Granville, Broken Hill, and Prospect. The union became defunct in February 1938 but was reregistered in August 1938. In 1991 it amalgamated with the Federated Ironworkers' Association of Australia to form the Federation of Industrial Manufacturing and Engineering Employees. This union later amalgamated with the Australian Workers' Union to form the AWU-FIME Amalgamated Union in 1993, later known simply as the AWU.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Representation for engineers

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entered from deposit description 11 October 2012. Revised 27 October 2017 by Brenton Clifford.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Australian Trade Union Archives website: www.atua.org.au

Maintenance notes