Series 359 - Annual folders of papers

Identity area

Reference code

AU ANUA 359

Title

Annual folders of papers

Date(s)

  • 1949 - 1975 (Creation)

Level of description

Series

Extent and medium

0.4 m (2 type 1 boxes)

Context area

Name of creator

(1954 -)

Biographical history

University House was originally designed as a residence and meeting place for postgraduate students and staff in the style of Oxford and Cambridge colleges. A University statute provides for the appointment of a Master, traditionally an academic, by the Vice-Chancellor of the University and a Governing Body, now known as the Board of Fellows. For its first decade, residence at the House was compulsory for unmarried doctoral students, and the tariff included all meals with formal dinners held each evening. In recent years its role has primarily changed to provide short-term accommodation for visiting scholars and staff and a venue for conferences and events. The University House building was the first purpose-built building on the University site, opened by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, on 16 February 1954. It was designed by architect Professor Brian Lewis and its furniture was designed by Frederick Ward. It houses a number of important artworks including paintings, tapestries, sculptures, antiquities and a Leonard French mural. From 1987, the ANU Staff Centre, located in Old Canberra House, was operated as an extension of University House with a bar, restaurant and function venue, but in the 1990s a number of areas were leased for external commercial operations and were then used for accommodating academic centres. Since 2003, Graduate House which adjoins University House has also been administered by the Master of University House.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This is an artificial collection of papers relating to University House, arranged into annual folders. The folders include original correspondence, copies of minutes of the Governing Board, newscuttings, and other material. They appear to be related to the compilation of a history and may have been compiled at the time of Francis West’s history University House: Portrait of an Institution, published in 1980.

Accruals

System of arrangement

Annual folders

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open access; note that some signatures have been removed from correspondence

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Item list

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Prepared by Maggie Shapley on 26 June 2009

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places