Deposit E200 - Amalgamated Metal Workers' Union, South Australian Branches deposit 1

Identity area

Reference code



Amalgamated Metal Workers' Union, South Australian Branches deposit 1


  • 1908 - 1972 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

0.34 m

Context area

Name of creator

(1851 - 1973)

Biographical history

Established in 1851, the original Amalgamated Engineering Union was a branch of the British union. It was registered with the Commonwealth Conciliation and Arbitration Court in 1905 and became known as the Amalgamated Society of Engineers. In 1920 it amalgamated with ten other engineering and allied trade unions and changed its name to the Amalgamated Engineering Union, Australian Section in 1921. In 1968 the union became autonomous from its parent body in Britain, shortening its name to the Amalgamated Engineering Union to reflect this. In mid-June 1972 the AEU began a series of amalgamations with the Sheet Metal Workers, Blacksmiths & Boilermakers and Federated Jewellers to form the Amalgamated Metal Workers' Union by 1973.

Name of creator

(1911 - 1965)

Biographical history

The Boilermakers' Society originated directly from the Federated Society of Boilermakers & Iron Shipbuilders of Australia which was registered federally in 1911, and became the Federated Society of Boilermakers Iron Shipbuilders & Structural Iron & Steel Workers of Australia in 1929. By 1937 the union had become the Boilermakers' Society of Australia. In 1965 the members of the deregistered Blacksmiths' Society of Australia joined the union and it became the Boilermakers' and Blacksmiths' Society of Australia.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Minute books. Includes records of predecessors Amalgamated Engineering Union South Australia branches and Boilermakers' Society of Australia, Port Augusta Branch. See also the Amalgamated Metal Workers Union and the Federated Ironworkers Association of Australia (Boilermakers and Blacksmiths Assistants Society of South Australia).


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Researchers must sign an access agreement

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Item list

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area


The Boilermakers' Society of Australia, Adelaide Branch was originally the United Society of Boilermakers and Iron Shipbuilders of South Australia founded on 31 August 1880 at Port Adelaide (Glanville) and called the Port Lodge. Another branch was established in Adelaide on 21 December 1882. In March 1966 the Adelaide Branches of the Boilermakers' Society and Blacksmiths' Society decided to merge and became Adelaide branches of Boilermakers' and Blacksmiths' Society.

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Dates of creation revision deletion

Entered from deposit description on 3 December 2012




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places